Alan's Blog

"Yeah. I wrote a script that will do that."

Finding Name Resolution Problems

Posted on December 12th, 2011

Name resolution problems are a plague for system administrators. If you think you are working on ComputerA but instead are working on ComputerB much gnashing of teeth may result.  In our environment we have NetBIOS and FQDNs to resolve.  The correct name, of course, is the one in the registry.

NameResolution.wsf checks the registry, FQDN and NBTName for computers.  Any name mismatches are noted.  This is an example of a WSF front end that I wrote.  The front end lets you run the script against a single file name, a list of files typed, a file of computer names, or a list from AD.  When you run it against more than one computer it is multi-threaded.  The results are written to a file on your desktop.  I had some strange issues with the .Run and .Exec methods for wshShell on a Windows 7 x64 system. These returned “file not found” when I tried to run NBTSTAT.  I rewrote the script to use the WMI Win32_Process create method instead.  (Later I discovered that this was related to an old version of PrimalScript.)

Soon I will post a script to fix PTR errors.

Filed under Patching, Scripting, Windows Administration, WMI | No Comments »

Please Note

All the scripts are saved as .txt files. Newer files have a "View Script" button which will let you save or open a script in notepad. For earlier posts, the easiest way to download with IE is to right click on the link and use "Save Target As". Rename file from Name_ext.txt to Name.ext.

To see a full post after searching, please click on the title.

PowerShell Scripts were written with Version 3 or 4.

https connections are supported.

All new users accounts must be approved, as are comments. Please be patient. It is pretty easy to figure out my email address from the scripts, and you are welcome to contact me that way.

Site Search



SQL Site

Bad Behavior has blocked 262 access attempts in the last 7 days.